Friday 22 November 2013

Old book new : research

Research -

Antique Shops:




To gain an understanding and enhance my appreciation for old books I went on a mission to discover and look at as many old books as possible.  Above is an antique shop where they had rows and rows of old books he things I was looking at were: Covers, stock, illustration, pictures, typography. It was really good to find some books to study in detail although I did not buy any for the project as I want to focus on old books from charity shops as this is part of the context of where the book would be sold.

Book shop:



This is an image I took whilst researching into book shops. Village bookshop is an independent store which would be suitable for Old Book New to be sold at. They sell an array of publications in all shapes and sizes at village ranging from lo-fi to luxurious. As Old book new is more like a 'fanzine' to the original book I feel it would be more appropriate to house this book in an independent bookshop like village rather than a large corporation like waterstones, as it will be a lo-fi diy style execution which is a lot more suited to village.

Formats:






The Old Book New subscription will be a range of produces so I have researched into a number of feasible products that could be suitable for the pack. Such as zines, post cards and T-shirts. It has been usefull to look at a range of different products from lo-fi to luxurious pretend ephemera. I want to keep the range simplistic so that the meaning of Old Book New doesnt get diluted by jazzy finishes. 


Plan:

Develop concept 
start designing  

No comments:

Post a Comment